This is my favorite cheesecake. The recipe comes from the daughters of my wonderful friend Pat Hansen, now deceased. I have several recipes that make me think of Pat whenever I make them but this one is the most delicious. I would post a picture but, to be honest, it has never been around long enough to take a picture.
- Butter liberally a 9 inch springform pan
- Line the bottom with a parchment or wax paper circle
- Dust with graham cracker crumbs (about 1/4 cup)
- Preheat the oven to 350°
Mix together the following dry ingredients and nuts then the melted butter. Press into the bottom of the springform pan and set aside.
- 2 cups of graham cracker crumbs
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped pecans
- 2/3 cups melted butter (unsalted)
Bake for 10 minutes then take it out of the oven and set aside while you work on the filling.
The Cake Part 1
Using your favorite mixing device cream together all of the following ingredients. Spoon the mixture into the springform pan and flatten. You don’t have to make it perfectly flat. Just distribute it as evenly as you can.
- 2 pounds cream cheese (that’s 4, 8 ounce packages, at room temperature if possible)
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
Bake for 30 minutes.
The Cake Part 2
While the cake is in the oven mix these ingredients together in the same bowl you used for the cheesecake. You can even scrape up any cheesecake leftovers in the bowl and mix into these ingredients. When the cake has been in the oven for 30 minutes open the oven, pull out the shelf and spread this mixture evenly over the cake. Bake for another 10 minutes.
- 2 cups sour cream
- 3/4 granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
Take the cake out of the oven and let it rest at room temperature for 15 minutes then refrigerate for at least 2 hours before serving.